FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?

Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,021Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?
In reply to John McCormack, Jul 18, 2013

My last bridge camera is the 20x zoom Olympus SP-570UZ, with hot shoe, and the external flash to match. I am keeping it as the last full-featured Olympus bridge camera.

Now I use the 24x zoom Olympus SZ-30MR. With an adapted and push-fitted 1.7x tele-converter I get 1020mm equivalent for moon shots. There is no hot shoe for an external (bounce) flash, but fill-in with the internal flash is very discreet. Sandra is the main critic of my output, and she likes what comes out of the SZ-30MR. Also, it is the first of my digital cameras she does not complain about being SLOW.

So I need some convincing to go back to a bridge camera.

The FZ70 however has the features that I appreciate in the SP-570UZ - AND it does HD video at both 25 and 30 fps, AND I will not need a tele-converter for moon shots. The usefulness of the EVF will depend on the refresh rate (on the SP-570UZ I loose Birds-In-Flight from one scan to the next).

The arrangement of the microphone slots on the FZ70 makes me hope for effective stereo recordings (On the SZ-30MR only the wind comes out in true stereo). 400 stills per charge from the FZ70 is twice what I get now, making battery management much less critical. than it is now.

At 600 grams and a large body it might not come out with me as much as my current P&S. But unlike the Nikon P-520 it does have a hot shoe. The FZ70 also trumps the Canon SX50 by permitting PAL compatible frame rates with both HD and VGA video.

Since my SP-570UZ is now mostly in the role of a collector's piece, an up-to-date bridge camera in the shape of the FZ70 looks actually quite attractive.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow