Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Spotpuff
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Re: You can
In reply to Mako2011, Jul 18, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

If this is true that there is no loss after pushing up ISOs, why Nikon cameras would even need different ISOs but just have the base ISO 100 that you could push up ISOs any stops you wanted in software?

With the D7K and the D5100 you almost can and with no color shift. Some people have indeed demonstrated how to do it well.

Here Pierre Sottas showed how

ISO 6400 shot in camera 50mm at f/8, 1/500

With the newer Toshiba sensor...you can't do this. There are pluses and minuses to shooting ISOless though, but maybe in the future we may indeed see this taken advantage of.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

This is what I mean; from a physics perspective, there isn't any more light hitting the sensor.  So you're just amplifying the signal from the sensor... I don't understand why Canon's output is "cleaner" or expands the DR in shadows without a longer exposure unless they are just applying an amplification + noise reduction.  I can't figure out why Canon sensors seem to be cleaner at higher ISOs than via pushing.

I might be missing something though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BeenNew
mayNew
ETTRNew
IfNew
WhyNew
rareNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow