Sony 55-300 Comparison

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
craig66
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony 55-300 Comparison
In reply to Atgard, Jul 17, 2013

Atgard wrote:

On the down side, it does have a strange autofocus issue where it hunts -- VERY SLOWLY -- in poor light or low contrast. In most situations, it has decent enough AF, but when it can't focus, it will slowly focus all the way in and then out again over the course of a couple seconds. I've never experienced it on any of a dozen A-mount lenses I've used, and it is frustrating when it happens. So much so that when I first got the lens and tried it out indoors in mediocre light, I thought the lens was broken.

I've observed the same behavior. Focusing speed can slow to a crawl in poor light. I compared it to my Tamron 200-500 with same subject and lighting. The Tamron locks focus normally. Camera is an A65.

However, this was when I was just trying the lens. I haven't had  a real world problem yet.

craig66's gear list:craig66's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow