Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
verybiglebowski
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?
Swirly Bokeh
Jul 17, 2013

Please - no agitations, no rumors, no MTFs, no education ...

This is an old fashioned, boring thread - "Show me your swirly bokeh image/lens" - type.

If you want to change the world or transfer your genius to less smart members, there are recently many other threads to enjoy.

I was never looking for swirly bokeh effect before. When I came across "swirly background", sometimes I liked it, other times I found it disruptive.

Recently I bought few lenses known for that rendering characteristics, so I thought that we might share some images with this effect.

Today, I took few shots with Primoplan 58mm f/1.9, just to see if its "character" can add something special to otherwise common compositions and I was kind of pleasantly surprised.

But to make more out of it, I will need to read, try and learn more. Therefore I will appreciate if some "swirly experts" shares few tips.

It will be interesting to know - what kind of lighting situation will emphasize the effect. Back-light? Low sidelight? What kind of backgrounds works best. What distances are recommended etc.

I believe i.e. that adding more small but reflective elements in the background (such as drops of water), might create more significant rendering effect.

So here are few shots from my Primoplan 58 f/1.9 and NEX 5N. They were taken in RAW and developed in LR 4.4 but with a "zeroed" profile and than exported to PS 5.5 for downsizing and framing. Otherwise, I left the rather low contrast, and didn't make any PP, as I just liked the images the way they look.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow