Magic Lantern Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 Stops

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Spotpuff
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Why is ISO 1600 different than taking ISO 100 and pushing exposure 4 stops?
In reply to Mako2011, Jul 17, 2013

I'm not sure I understand how this expands the DR of the camera; the shutter and aperture are the same.  ISO is just amplifying the signal from the sensor, is it not? The sensor itself is not becoming "more sensitive" every other set of 2 rows?
If so how is this different than just pushing exposure 4 stops?  I've seen other examples of Canon sensors having less noise at higher ISO than when exposure is pushed in post, and I'm not sure I get it at all.
Obviously the technique works, I'm just puzzled as to how, exactly, it's working.  The same amount of light is hitting the ISO 1600 rows as the ISO 100 rows (ignoring shot noise/poisson whatever) so is this just a case of Canon's raw files not being as resilient when pushing shadows?

I have a Nikon D40 & d700 and neither seems to have much issue with noise in shadows when pushed. My Panasonic GX1 on the other hand has horrible noise in shadow areas even at base ISO, so this type of interpolation is interesting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BeenNew
mayNew
ETTRNew
IfNew
WhyNew
rareNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow