Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dachshund7
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
Move on from the Canon i9900?
Jul 17, 2013

I was using a Canon i9900 when I was doing a lot of photography up until a few years ago. After taking a break from it, I recently bought a new camera (Canon 6D) and I'm wondering if I should replace the i9900. I'm interested in the Epson R3000, but I have to wait a bit for my budget to catch up.

I have two questions. What am I missing out on with the i9900? I can compare specs obviously, but it looks like printing has moved into pigment ink which is new to me. I was going to stay away from the Epson clogging machines, but it looks like the R3000 has improved that issue significantly. So I'm interested to know how much better the R3000 or an equivalent new printer will be compared to the i9900.

Also, the i9900 prints lighter than what I see on the screen. I'd like to use up the ink that I have, and I'm wondering why the prints come out light. I use Lightroom 5 on a 27" iMac running OS 10.7.5 Lion, with the original Canon printer profiles (MP1, PR1, PR2, SP1). I've followed the Lightroom print tutorial at http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-print-the-perfect-image/. However, I haven't attempted to calibrate the monitor on this Mac. I may have the original Spyder stashed away somewhere. I imagine the new Spyder products are better. So… is there any usefulness to the original Spyder for calibration, or should I just adjust my images a little darker for now? I suppose a new Spyder is the next thing I should buy, before the printer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dachshund7's gear list:dachshund7's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow