Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,552Gear list
Like?
Composition Tip: Angle and Light. Mushroom with the NX300 and 45/1.8
Jul 17, 2013

Here is a little composition tip. I was shooting this cool mushroom but unhappy with the results. All I did was flip the mushroom 180 degrees and lower the camera angle. The important part here is the second shot is at such an angle that the light really brings out the shape of the mushroom and the lower camera angle helps separate it from the background. I think I was using the 10mm extension tube on the 45mm f/1.8 here.

The funny part was when I set the camera on the ground for the second shot a scaly looking worm slithered out from under the camera and made me jump and scream like a little kid.

Not all that interesting

Seeing the back of the cap adds contrast, and under the mushroom adds depth. I rotated it to get part of the stem in focus too. I would have liked a bit deeper depth of field to get the back of the cap slightly sharper.  I carefully placed the tree in the background to the left of the mushroom so it wouldn't break up the lines of the mushroom.  Working with the camera on the ground I accidentally bumped the aperture control and dropped it to 3.5.

From my flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/erictastad

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow