Was it really a stand your ground issue?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian
Forum ProPosts: 10,135
Like?
Was it really a stand your ground issue?
Jul 17, 2013

So from my understanding of the case the following occurred.

Zimmerman was doing neighborhood patrol (apparently there and been recent burglaries in the neighborhood)

Zimmerman started following Martin in his truck and call the Sanford Police.

The Police said he didn't need to follow Martin

after Martin realizes he is being followed he take off running

Zimmerman lost track of Martin while on the call to the cops. and then terminates the call with the police.

During the next 2-3 minutes a cell phone call between Martin and his GF goes dead,

a fight ensues where it is believed that Marin threw the first punch,

a witness of the fight calls 911, a gun shot is heard.

a minute later an officer arrives.

a bystander takes a photo of zimmermans head.

These are the facts the best we know them

It is also believed that Marin was on top of Zimmerman at the time of the gun shot.

So let's examine this a little further.

If Zimmerman confronted Martin, this is not illegal.  (stupid, but not illegal)

Zimmerman packing heat was also not illegal

Martin throwing the first punch would be illegal, if this is what occurred.

We don't know how much of a fight Zimmerman put up, but according to some who knew Zimmerman, he was not a good fighter.

Zimmerman had sustained multiple lacerations to the head indicating that he was on the ground face up sometime during the fight indicating that Martin was getting the better of him.

In order to invoke the stand your ground rule, I would think that Zimmerman would at the time of firing the weapon have the choice to fire the weapon or escape.  I don't think he had the opportunity to escape at the time the shot was fired.  At this point it wasn't stand your ground, it was self defense.

Furthermore this couldn't have been considered manslaughter either as Zimmerman did not start the altercation.  I don't believe that what Zimmerman did that night were the smartest of actions.  But I don't see anything he did was illegal, just stupid.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow