What is this beetle from Kentucky????

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 18,545Gear list
Like?
Re: What is this beetle from Kentucky????
In reply to Carmen13, Jul 17, 2013

Carmen13 wrote:

It looks like a Billborneus Kentuckiusto me.

I was going to say some kind of stag beetle, but after looking around a bit I'm not so sure. It doesn't have the huge "antlers," but I guess the female of the species doesn't. There's some pictures on the web that look real close if you search for "female stag beetle." The legs look a little different, but it almost looks like part of her leg is laying off to the left in your picture...if you were to glue it back on it might be a closer match. Might've been an antenna, though.

Great shot by the way. I'm fascinated by the golf ball dimpled texture of her shell. Close up pictures don't make me any more keen to cuddle up to insects, but you can't look at pictures like this and not be a little amazed by them.

-- hide signature --

So I glanced at the replies and saw your description name thinking it was the latin name. Then my sister comes over and I tell her one guy wrote a latin name and we could look it up on the internet. When I looked at it again Realized what it said, my sister and I were laughing hysterically.

You made my Day

And it was Dead or I would not have gotten so close!!!

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow