Another travel lens - what would you do? question

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
tamasine
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Re: Another travel lens - what would you do? question
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Jul 17, 2013

Hi Craig

I normally ask the advice of you seasoned forum members as I'm a newbie to FF, but maybe I can give you my opinion as someone who lives in Europe.

I've been in Paris and Venice this year - both very nice and with fantastic architecture.  I took a few lenses with me on both trips but to tell the truth, I was fed up of changing them all the time and lugging the weight around.

I would take your 800e and either the 24-120VR or a 24-85VR when you go to a city, even just for one day, to see how you get on.

I've just bought a 24-85VR and plan to use that as my main lens on my D600.  I know many people will say it is not as sharp as the primes or more expensive zooms, but it's lighter, has VR, a good zoom range, and unless you plan to print at large sizes (you mentioned you will probably publish on the web) should be plenty sharp.

In Venice I was using a D90 + 16-85VR and found that 16mm (DX 24mm?) was plenty wide.  In Paris I used the D600 plus 18-35mm and the 18mm was good at times, so this is another lens you might consider purchasing....it's also very light and portable and not too expensive.  However, I think a 24-85 would have met all my requirements.

Btw - I took my tripod to Paris but never used it.  It was too busy, and as I was with my other half, it would have wasted too much time to set up, when the whole point of the trip was to enjoy the time with someone else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow