Quick opinions on Nikon prime lens for D7000, and reliability of lens review websites

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EyesHigh
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Quick opinions on Nikon prime lens for D7000, and reliability of lens review websites
Jul 17, 2013

Hi there,

I made a post around a week ago asking for advice on a new lens and got some very useful information. From that post I decided to look for 1 new zoom lens and 1 or (possibly) 2 prime lenses for my D7000.

What I'd like to ask in this post is:

Firstly, can prime lenses be used for landscape / nature photography and if so how well suited are they? (I have read primes lenses, depending on focal lengths, make great portrait lenses but I am unsure of how they will cope in outdoor/mountain terrain).

Secondly, in researching prime lens options across a small number of sites (namely DxO Mark/Lab, Photozone, and, of course, DPReview) I have found very in-depth, almost statistical, information regarding the sharpness, distortion, vignetting, aberrations, bokeh/bokeh fringing, and light transmission of each of the lenses I am considering; based on these stats., some lenses, apparently, should be avoided and others be researched further. But, how well do these review sites correlate with one another and how accurate are their testing methods and findings (trust-able)?

Thirdly, the prime lenses I am considering at this stage are the Nikon 50mm 1.4D, 1.8G, or 1.8D, and the Nikon 35mm 1.8 G; opinions and experiences with any of these? (Any other, perhaps wider, prime lens options?)

And finally, are there any additional websites that conduct in-depth lens reviews I could search for before purchasing a new lens?

Any information on any of these questions would be very much appreciated,

Thank you in advance.

EyesHigh's gear list:EyesHigh's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow