Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Manual Focus suggestions with legacy lenses on EM5
In reply to S. Miller, Jul 17, 2013

S. Miller wrote:

William Ing wrote:

@S. Miller: I'm frankly surprised at the preponderence of advice on this thread in favor of the magnified view, as opposed to the "fake focus peaking" you mention as option #3.

Nevertheless, I'm personally delighted by the recent discovery of the pseudo focus peaking hack for the OM5. In conjuncition with the OM5's game changing five-axis IBIS, my Oly is now a terrific platform for a huge range of legacy lenses ranging from the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 (portrait and event photography) to the Nikon AIS 180mm f/2.8 to the Tamron SP 400mm f/4 with 1.4 TC (wildlife).

Here's the focus peaking procedure that works most effectively for me:

1. Be sure you enter the correct focal length for the IBIS setting.

2. Then manually focus as accurately as you can through the unaided EVF.

3. With thumb pressure on the Fn1 button, activate 2X key line focus peaking. Almost simultaneously, use index finger half press on the shutter release button (either on camera or battery grip) to activate IS.

4. You're now viewing a 2X stabilized, key line image to facilitate MF.

5. Keep in mind that you're using this 2X image to carry out rapid, accurate focus. You're NOT using it for composition, as you state in your original post. I personally find this brief 2X key line view to be less disruptive and disorienting to my compositional efforts than a 7X or 14X out of focus image.

6. As soon as your MF efforts bring up the maximum amount of black outlining in eyebrows or eyelashes (portraiture) or in the antlers, ears or hide (wildlife) of your target, you're good to go. Release Fn1 button, compose and shoot.

I'll try this again. In number 3 above, how do you activate 2x magnification, let alone configuring Fn1 to be the key line filter with the 2X magnification? I can configure a myset to be the key line filter and can map myset to Fn1, but I can't figure out how to get the 2x magnification.

While on the topic, someone else suggested mapping myset to Fn2. I'm only able to map it to Fn1. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Steve

2X magnification is enabled by turning the Digital Teleconverter (DTC) on. This hack is a funny and resourceful mix of settings that works reasonably well. The DTC on/off setting can be saved to a MySet, as can an art filter.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow