Started Jul 15, 2013 | Questions thread
AnthonyL
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
Re: Firefox 22 startup, NoScript?
In reply to CAcreeks, Jul 17, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

I use NoScript rather than AdBlock but it requires a bit more intervention.

Do you just white-list the websites where you want JavaScript to run from? That does not seem like too much trouble.

Sites are blocked by default and then if something doesn't work and if I think I trust the site I allow it. The problem is not the main site eg dpreview.com, but the whole lot of sub-sites that web designers seem to need, so for instance, on this site:

amazon-adsystem.com (currently not permitted)

google-analytics.com (currently not permitted)

cloudfront.net (currently not permitted)

This is a relatively small list and it takes some research to make an informed decision as to whether or not to allow a site. NoScript does allow a quick access for checking eg:

It can get worse, so allowing one of the sub-sites might then have another load of sites hanging of it. I might then get bored and give up, or temporarily allow all and hope my other security defences will catch any nasties.

I wonder if some of the AdBlock+ lists are slower than others, for instance is FanBoy's list faster than EasyList?

Sorry, very little experience. I do however have quite an aggressive HOSTS file. Google:

block sites hosts file

for suggestions.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow