Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
katterina
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
Tips for macro with the 105mmvr please?
Jul 16, 2013

I am exploring the world of macro with my 105vr. Today i have been taking photos of the grass hoppers in the garden and wondered how i can make the images sharper or more in focus.

I used a combination of manual and auto focus. A lot were not sharp but  the grasshoppers did move and there was a very slight breeze. On a few the eyes were in focus which was good. I was using f/16 mostly but also f./11,22 and 5.6. Obviously there was more depth of field at 16 and the camera was very close as they are still small at the moment.

The camera was also on self timer at 2 seconds to try to eliminate camera vibrations. I did find that alot of the heads did not display much detail but i do not know whether this may be due to the bodies having markings which created some contrast whilst the heads from rhe side were the same kind of green as the leaves they were on and therefore blended in a bit.

Is this where focus staking may help? If im at f/22 and all the body is not in focus, im not sure what else i can do. I am also planning on trying to use some coloured flowers as a background and see if the grasshoppers will stay on them for a while. Its very hot here at the moment though so they may prefer to get back in the shade. Maybe shade could be a reason they are not very clear? The camera was on a tripod but f/16 was resulting in shutter speeds if around 1/30. Prehaps using an sb910 off camera may help? Or would it not make much difference in outdoors sunshine. Do you need an extra control to use the sb910 with a d300s?  Im still pretty new to it.

Many thanks.

Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow