Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
How many flashes for 5D3?
Jul 16, 2013

I'd like to get several flashes for 5D3 to be able to create a multi flash setup as necessary for various (non professional) purposes. Questions:

1. How many flashes do I need? I understand it depends, but please give me the number that would be sufficient in most common cases. I feel it is 4 (2 for the background on both sides plus 2 for the foreground on camera and off cener or one bounced), but I am not an expert in this.

2. Is it better to have one flash on the camera or a transmitter instead with all flashes off center (e.g. one on a bracket)?

3. What power do I need? I feel, two of 580/600 on the foreground and/or bounced plus two of 430 for the background, but again, I am no expert by any measure.

For the purposes of this thread please disregard the cost and flash control (the plan is RT only once the 430 replacement is out). Thanks for your insight.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow