ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AVartco
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Epson 3880: Vertical white lines?
9 months ago

Hi folks,

So recently I picked up one of these printers, and while in most regards the quality I've seen certainly lives up to the general consensus, I've noticed one thing which does not.

What I noticed was that when printing low-key images (or simply a pure black test image), there are faint (quite subtle) vertical (in portrait orientation) lines of very small white dots.

I've tried every combination of head alignment, cleaning, deep cleaning, etc. They remain. And they show up across paper types as well.

Has anyone encountered this before?

I opened a case with Epson and at first they gave me the run around. They asked if I had tried printing on plain paper (a terrible test I though, as I expected the ink to diffuse in the paper to a degree sufficient enough to cover over the lines in question) - anyway, when the lines didn't appear on plain paper, they pointed at the possibility of a potentially bad batch of paper. But I've tried premium Canson stock as well as Epson Photo glossy, and the problem follows on either.

Anyway, I finally got Epson to admit it could be the printer, and it's on the way back for a replacement. But I still am rather curious whether anyone else has critically examined low-key images printed on a 3880 and come across this.

I should note that the lines are not visible under average viewing conditions, it usually takes placing a light upon the image & looking very closely. Still, if I'm going to feel good about selling images printed on this unit it seems fair to expect a flawless print.

Thanks for your input folks!

AV

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow