canon 650d experience

Started Jul 15, 2013 | User reviews thread
Binary Hulled Ion
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
Re: canon 650d experience
In reply to Combat By Design, Jul 16, 2013

Combat By Design wrote:

Do you have a method for shooting low light?
I typically shoot moving people in low light, so I have to keep the shutter speed fairly high, and when I up the ISO it always comes out grainy... Any word?
Thanks in advance!

What lens are you using in those situation? Coaxing a few more stops of light onto the sensor does a world of good. The two basic prime (non-zoom) lenses with good low-light performance for Canon are the 50mm f/1.8 (~$100, spotty AF performance), and the 40mm f/2.8 (~$150). I did a lot of experimentation to find the minimum shutter speed I can shoot from handheld without IS turned on (for me, 1/30 is usually okay) and set the camera to Auto ISO and Tv mode at that shutter speed for some worry-free shooting. Using this usually puts me at around f/2.8 with ISO 800 in household indoor-lit scenes.

Option 2 is to add an external flash that you can diffuse, bounce, or use off-camera wirelessly. I have yet to dive into that bit of fun as I've heard leaning lighting can be like learning photography all over again. Plus, it's a little out of the range of fun money at $350 for the 430 EX II in order to take advantage of all of the features available on the camera body.

-- hide signature --

- Burnnie
* Any opinions expressed may not reflect any common sense, logic, or reason.

Binary Hulled Ion's gear list:Binary Hulled Ion's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow