ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HappyPooPants
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?
cheaper macro lens instead of $1000 Nikon
Jul 16, 2013

Hi Guys,

I have ready lots of threads so far, and as usual, the more you read, the more equipment you become aware of , and the decisions become harder.

I hate to be someone who is re-posting a question, but I guess my question is more specific.

I'm about to have a baby (well my wife anyway ) and I want to get a macro lense to do some really really close photo of the eyes, so I can get some nice reflections going. But would also like a lense to double as a sharp portrait lens.

I think the Nikon 105 vr is overkill for me, since its $1000.

I'm leaning towards the Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 Lens, which you can get for $350, as it seems to be an unbeatable lens for the price (in not looking at used glass).

The one thing I still canoot figure out is if I need VR or not, if I'm planning to handhold the camera most of the time. I do have a tripod, but don't really want to lug it around .

From what I understand I'll need to shoot at 1/100 to ensure no camera shake, but also worry I'll be losing a lot of light. If I have VR I can shoot at around 1/30 .. which would make a huge difference in doors if I only want to use ambient light.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated...
I could spend a little more for the Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro or the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro EX DG, but I don't know if it's actually worth it.
Oh, at the moment I have a D600, 24 - 85 (kit lense) & 50 1.8 and a tripod.
Thanks again

HappyPooPants's gear list:HappyPooPants's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow