Nikon Capture NX2 + D800 - help!!!

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Questions thread
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Capture NX2 + D800 - help!!!
In reply to RichCutler, Jul 16, 2013

RichCutler wrote:

Thanks for the tips, folks. Always a learning curve coming from different software!

Lots of moaning about the interface on the web, but it's fine - no better or worse than other Raw converters: they all have their quirks, good and bad!

Have discovered two things already though:

1. Sharpening is on by default, and is crude and horribly aggressive - even level 1 creates halos! I'll do my sharpening in Photoshop as usual!
  2. Resampling is also on by default, so cropped images are resized to set dimensions. Again, no thanks!

Is there anything else I should generally select/deselect, or otherwise note?

-- hide signature --

-=Rich=-
www.richcutler.co.uk

Rich, if you are going to use the software, you might profit from checking out some of the tutorials or references others have offered. It seems like you are misunderstanding the software in numerous ways.

Sharpening in the Develop section comes from your in-camera picture control settings, which NX2 respects. This is not an NX2 default, it's your camera settings.

Cropping does not resample, at least when I use it. Maybe you are using the Fit photo or Size / Resolution commands?

Otherwise note: When working on a raw file, Exposure Compensation in Quick Fix works on the full 14-bit RAW data (so I'm told). So use Quick fix to make your global exposure adjustments, where you have more data to work from than you will have in later steps.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow