650D (T4i) and 70-200 f/4 L (NON-IS): I like this combo!

Started Jul 8, 2013 | Photos thread
paparios
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
Re: 650D (T4i) and 70-200 f/4 L (NON-IS): I like this combo!
In reply to DarthVader, Jul 15, 2013

DarthVader wrote:

Hi David

Thanks a lot for your comment. But I must tell you: you're wrong about the "green dot", those are all my mistakes!!

The duck pictures were shot in AV mode, and the swan pictures in TV mode. With the duck pictures, I wanted a sharp overall picture, and I thought a high number (like 22 or 29) would give me that. Was I so wrong about that?

I agree completely with you about moving away from the automatic modes, and I very rarely use them. But maybe I better should ...

Cheers, Kurt

-- hide signature --

Don't underestimate the Force!

Shooting over f8-f11 means you will get into the diffraction zone of the lens where sharpness begins to going down. At f22 or f29 sharpness is severely degraded. The usual rule is that you try to use something like f5.6, since most of lenses peak on sharpness at that aperture.

For the 70-200 f4, you can use the lens wide open with excellent sharpness. Using f4 will allow you to have a faster shutter speed at a given ISO, thus giving a result where the movement blurring is avoided. For that lens at 200mm, it means to use 1/320sec or faster, to reduce that blurring, but it should be better to use 1/640 or faster, which may require to adjust the ISO to satisfy the exposure requirements.

Miguel

paparios's gear list:paparios's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow