Why mirrorless over dslr?

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,837Gear list
Like?
Mirrorless vs. DSLR.
In reply to Ubilam, Jul 15, 2013

DSLR - Ultimate image machine. The best quality, the fastest focus tracking, the highest quality lenses, the biggest buffers, great flash system, the best weather sealing, the list goes on. It is also large, heavy, and cumbersome to carry around. I own DSLRs and lenses so that is attractive and cheap for me.

Mirrorless - small package with a high quality sensor. But it does not focus on moving subjects well. I took my mirrorless kit to a weekend event and got a high OOF rate which was rather upsetting. Nikon 1 is the exception.

IMO until mirrorless gets the focus down its not worthwhile. OOF shots are annoying and downright unacceptable. From my experience the mirrorless OOF rate is 25%+ which is way too high. It is over 75% if shooting action. I am not someone who does the M focus option well. I have been shooting AF since the 80's!

OTOH if you do mostly landscape mirrorless can work well. For people I found the best way to use mirrorless is to have folks attention when shooting. Take time to lock focus.

The Nikon 1 system maybe my carryall solution. The sensor size and flash are the only drawbacks. Why Nikon did not use their CLS system is just STOOPID!

I am also looking at a NEX as I believe PDAF works well on the NEX5R/6. If the NEX PDAF works that is a good solution. I need to find a NEX6 I can shoot for an hour or so.

I will not purchase another mirrorless that can not do PDAF well. Granted I do not need high speed focus tracking, but a high percentage shot PDAF sensor is a requirement which I believe the NEX can achieve. See the DPReview on the NEX6, it looks good. I have a DSLR for those times when I want an action camera.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
+1New
SizeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow