Nikon D5200,D3200 Image Quality compared to Sony Nex 7

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Questions thread
steveTQP
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D5200,D3200 Image Quality compared to Sony Nex 7
In reply to danny006, Jul 15, 2013

As a Sony shooter I also look at other brands now and then. What strikes me most is the poor jpeg quality from almost all recent Nikon camera's, especially if you go up with the ISO.

The D5200 is no exception, just compare it with the Nex7 or Nex6/A57 at ISO1600 and you will notice it. In Raw the noise is good under control, I must say. But also in RAW the images tend to be a little soft - it seems like Nikon is applying noise reduction on RAW files too.

If you are interested in a D5200 then you can also take a look at the A57. From early reviews the D5200 AF doesn't seem to be that good, the A57 has a fast autofocus and high framerate. If you want more MP, wait for the A58 with a 20MP sensor.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

Danny, as a Nikon D5200 user, I must disagree with your comments about its Raw files being "soft", and AF not up to par.
Sharpness is as much if not more dependent on the particular lens used, than on the camera sensor, not to mention good photographic technique! Please check out my images and you'll see that even low res jpegs are quite sharp and detailed (though admittedly, I shoot low ISO primarily.)! My full res Raw files are even sharper!
I would put my d5200 files against a Sony NEX 7 file and I'd bet that they would be quite indistinguishable at low ISO.
Thanks,
Steve
--
Steve Solomon
steve@totalqualityphoto.com

steveTQP's gear list:steveTQP's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow