ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Banner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,337
Like?
Debating between the RX100 and Nikon 1 or Micro 4/3
Jul 15, 2013

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some feedback to make my decision. I currently have a Nikon D300 DSLR with some nice lenses and I use it for portraits but with 3 kids now including a 6 month old, I don't take it with me when traveling or going into the city. For that I prefer my Canon 110 HS which fits in my pocket. However the Canon often comes up short in image quality. Blown highlights, too much noise reduction (no raw), lack of contract and detail, etc. I also have an older panasonic LX3 that I love for B&W mode but its colors are not good (IMHO, I love the canon colors).

So I'm thinking of getting something in between. I was seriously considering the Nikon 1 but when I add it all up it's going to be $1200 (J3 + 10-100 + 18.5 + FT1 to use my existing lenses). that's a lot to spend on a camera that will be only slightly more portable than my DSLR. I kind of figure if I'm going to carry something that won't fit in the pocket I might as well take the DSLR. And if not, then something that will go in the pocket.

We'll be starting our summer vacation in New York so I hope to decide what I want now so that I can get it at B&H.

The Sony RX100 really has my eye. Unfortunately the mark 2 won't be out until after we leave NY but I suppose if I'm willing to wait I could pick it up in Cape Cod or Boston, our next stops. It'd be nice to have the new camera for NYC though.

I'm curious if others have been in a similar situation and if so what did you decide? The photos and video of the RX100 look great. I'm just not sure about it's bigger size (compared to my Canon) for a pocketable camera. to me it seems like a good compromise. A camera that I could always have with me. If I get the Nikon J3 with 10-100 lens (27-270 35mm equiv focal length) then I'd have that hanging from my neck all the time. With a baby on my back that might get old.

I've thoroughly investigated the Nikon 1 and MFT cameras, so I'm curious to know why people who did the same chose the RX100 and if they are happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Nikon 1 J3 Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1) Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow