Is there ANY D-SLR that doesn't take mushy movies?

Started Jul 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
Is there ANY D-SLR that doesn't take mushy movies?
Jul 15, 2013

I keep thinking "full frame sensor movies - wow, 35mm quality a la cinema".. I know that's a stretch, and I know most of these are ok for tripod-only manual focus pulling setups - but what about for the casual crowd? Even though no continuous AF with higher end Canons, I have tried every recommended shutter speed/aperture/ISO misc settings a million different ways (including Cinematographer Shane Hurlbut's suggestions for D-SLR movies) - and I still get mushy video (especially foliage/grass) even with the best cameras and lenses (L glass and 5D MIII and 6D). Is it just that the large sensor works against us as far as quality because of less DOF? Even 7D video was the same...and I do have a Sony A77 and A99 that is a litter better because of AF. Still not great quality. These cameras take such amazing stills, it strange that movies are degraded so much.

So just wondering, has anyone found any brand of D-SLR that takes a movie closer to video camera quality? I have a friend with a Nikon D5100 and his movies look better. But nothing has even come remotely close to my Sony SR11 w/Zeiss lens camcorder.. It's more than just not having AF.

Bill

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D5100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow