Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,825
Like?
I think you miss the point..
In reply to Cyril Catt, Jul 15, 2013

Cyril Catt wrote:

Richard wrote:

Cyril Catt wrote:

But whether, in 150 years, my great-great-grandchildren will be able to look at images of me, as I am currently able to look at images of my great-great-grandparents from 150 years ago, remains a question. Cyril

I think it will be better. Image standards like gif and jpg will never go away. We still have slide view projectors right now.

Richard, I am less optimistic than you. Sure, the standards may continue, but they are likely to be superseded by new ones, and as that happens, the software to read files in those formats may be less easy to find or use.

It is not only software but hardware. How many phone, tablets, mp3 players, TVs, even point and shoot cameras themselves, read these formats. Unless everyone throws them away the will be plenty of them around to read. Even now, you can convert your pictures and your 8mm film movies to current formats.

How many slide projectors are being manufactured today? And how many are being sent to the dump?

You can buy projectors on Amazon new right now and the still sell film scanner and there are still many places that will scan, but you have to be on it because as we move closer to 150 years out there will be less of the conversion places and they will probably cost you more money to convert but they are still around.

I think all your images of you and your family will fit onto one memory card. You will have 3 duplicates that will cost you less than a photo album. If the images degrade, a computer will be able to take the data from all 3 and retrieve all the information.

But how long will images last on a memory card? How long will SD, SDHC, etc. be standards?

They will be around long after you and I are dead. Readers will be around even longer.

You can buy a 3.5 floppy with every card reader for $17 http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-CRW-FLP2-Internal-Writer-INTERNAL/dp/B00666NLLW/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373895089&sr=1-6&keywords=internal+floppy+drive

If I send you a 5.25" floppy disk, or even a 3.5" one, could you read it?

I have a 2 computers that read 3.5 floppies so in answer to your question, yes. As far as the 5.25, if I really needed to read it, the answer is yes, I can buy an old computer that has a drive. The  5.25 drives are sold as used. I have friends that still have these old computers. But remember most people have pulled the data off of these old machines and moved important stuff to newer media and harddrive/computers.

You may have 1 or two pictures that have lasted from 150 years ago, your great great grandchildren will be able to see video and thousands of pictures. How many pictures from 150 years ago have we lost due to light/water/air damage and loss. I think that digital photography will lose far fewer, only those without backups will suffer catastrophic loss.

I believe right now, I have every picture I have taken from my first digital camera, a casio point and shoot all the way until now, backed up across 4 computers, then 3 more on sibling and parent computers that are in a different location. I have external hard drive backups of each. Each time I get a new computer. I dump all the images to the new computer and because hard drive space continues to increase the new computer does not even feel it.

Yes, I have similar distributed archives. But their continued existence will depend on people continuing to rearchive them as technology changes. Will all my descendants be as diligent about retaining pictures of someone they never knew?

It is no difference that paper copies, the people that come after you have to want to know who you are. I have old picutres, before my mother died, I asked here to write down on the back of great great grand parents pictures who they were and relationship to the family. If she did not do that those pictures would be thrown away after I am dead but I have shown them to the next generation, you can only hope one of them takes and interest to same them. Same with digital, you will have to name all the pictures and their relevance to your family if you do this the chances of them sticking around is much higher.

I think there may be a better chance of pictures printed with archival materials, and kept in archival conditions, surviving for 150 years than there will be for digital files to be faithfully copied as technology changes, because people are fallible.

I agree, you may have greater chances passing them on.  In the end it does not matter what format, people who are interested in family genealogy will make the effort to continue to update this information and keep it in current formats

In my family there are several doing this, and we share what we have with each other and will pass it on to future generations explaining the importance of keeping this stuff around and passing it on. There always seems to be someone who wants to do this in families, you just have to make sure it gets passed on.

Everything that was passed on was passed to me, I have scanned a prepared everything for the next generation. I think I know which one I will pass it to and because I can easily make copies, on hard drives and memory cards, I will hand them out to all and explain why this is important and why they should keep it. And I will print some of them out and buy several good digital photo frames, then all you can do is hope.

In the end regardless of format, it will not be if it is hard copy or digital, it will be if there is someone interested to carry the information on to the future.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow