Filters..how frequently do you guys use them?

Started Jul 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Re: Filters..how frequently do you guys use them?
In reply to Daisy AU, Jul 15, 2013

Daisy AU wrote:

If you are going to buy filters, you can get the biggest size according to what lenses you currently own (and which lenses you intend to purchase in the future), and then use step-down rings to be able to use the one filter with all your other lenses. Most of my filters are either 67 or 77.

I see a problem with this method.  Using a lens hood will not be possible when using a filter larger than the lens.  OP have said that a hood is not important when using a CPL, but sometimes after adjusting the filter, I snap the lens hood back on before shooting.

For me, the lens hood is protective when using the camera, the lens cap is protective when storing the camera, so UV filters are only useful in dirty conditions, especially with wind.

I own UV filters, seldom use them; CPLs, use them when needed (reflective surfaces, bright sun, skies); grad ND, for sunrise/sunset pictures.

Advice given to me:  don't buy equipment of any kind until you know you need it and will use it.  Photography can be a "money pit" and purchasing filters, lenses, etc. because they sound good is a pathway to having a closet full of items you never use!

Good Luck...

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow