Started Jul 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tarifa
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Does anyone use the DOF button?
Jul 15, 2013

Does anyone actually use the DOF button?

There has been a DOF button on my cameras for probably 25 years.  As I have 2.8 or better lenses, I always think that pressing this should show me the DOF (e.g. if I set to be f11 or higher).  Instead the screen just goes dark (of course).   Thats it.  I have 125% vision (according to vision express anyway), but for the life of me in 25 years, I have never been able to see any difference in depth of field on the screen between say 2.8 and 22.  i.e. I can't tell from the screen whats in focus and whats not.  For 25 years I have thought this button useless.

But I just saw an interesting suggestion - to change its function in the 5D3 to switch from one shot to AI-Servo.  This seems brilliant.  Until now, I rarely use AI servo (and never AI focus). With this button, I might be tempted to try it for some wedding and people shots, although I haven't worked out how to get it to show me which AF point its using while in servo mode.

tarifa's gear list:tarifa's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow