Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,751
Like?
each has its pros and cons
In reply to Ubilam, Jul 15, 2013

Ubilam wrote:

Or, vice versa? Please educate me. State the benefits/cons of both ONLY if you have used both types to compare. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

"Hey, don't blame me."

I use m4/3 mirrorless and I also use Canon DSLR (APS-C and FF).  The Canon gear is my workhorse work gear for wedding and portrait shooting.  The m4/3 gear is the stuff I use for personal/casual/around-town/travel shooting.

DSLR pros: looks professional, it's what clients expect to see, still has the edge in AF performance

DSLR cons: heavy and bulky, pain in the butt to travel with or carry all day long, sticks out like a sore thumb so difficult to stay low-key when carrying DSLR gear

Mirrorless pros: less size/weight/bulk, easier to travel with, stealthier and less obvious to carry around, EVF has more tricks up its sleave than OVF

Mirrorless cons: AF performance not as good for fast action shooting (which I don't do anyways). doesn't look as "professional" to clients, EVF looks different from OVF and not quite as good

Now that I'm using both types, I really appreciate having both.  When I'm working, I go with my DSLR gear.  When I'm going around town, seeing friends, doing personal shooting, doing casual shooting, I go with my more compact mirrorless gear.

It's like having different pairs of shoes.  You wouldn't wear the same pair of shoes to a nice restaurant as you would to go hiking in the woods.  I guess that's why I use both DSLR and mirrorless.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
+1New
SizeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow