Why mirrorless over dslr?

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,522Gear list
Like?
Re: SLRs have become big, bloated, heavy, oversized behemoths!
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Jul 15, 2013

Mike_PEAT wrote:

I realize in the old days oversized dSLRs were an anoying necessity, due to the size of electronics...but today there's no reason for oversized dSLRs...Olympus has shown it is possible to make NORMAL SIZED dSLRs. You may say that Olympus uses smaller sensors and mirrors, but the only difference between that and a full frame is te size of the lens opening!

I had no interest in mirrorless, that is until the Olympus E-M5 came along, because it was so much like the SLRs I had used over 20 years of my photographic history not only in styling, but in size...it was the size and feel of the NORMAL SIZED SLRs I was familiar with!

It's funny though that when a NORMAL SIZED camera like the Olympus E-M5 now comes along, people now say it's too small...they've gotten used to BLOATED cameras.

What is an "oversized" DSLR? Olympus bodies were considered smaller and for some desirable back in the film days, but that didn't make the rest of them "oversized". If anything, the Nikon Photomics from the 60's were "normal". Or do you mean that an full frame camera is "oversized" period? I think you're trying to be clever aren't you? Tricky tricky.

But when you say the "only difference between that and a "full frame" is the size of the lens opening", what are you trying to say? that a full framed sensor isn't any different than a 4/3 sensor? Have you seen the results form an EOS 5D or a D800? Argue the merits of size or convenience, but you can't really argue image quality.

Olympus OM-D EM-5 is a benchmark for it's class, but not really an equal to the full framed cameras.

But to answer the original poster's question, DSLRs are bigger and heavier, but you can safely argue that more dedicated and fully functional lenses are available, image quality is superior and durability is better. Mirrorless stuff is usually smaller, lighter and provides a good compromise between ultimate image quality and portability.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
+1New
SizeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow