New Epson r3000 prints darker than old Epson 4000

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
Re: New Epson r3000 prints darker than old Epson 4000
In reply to plamensio, Jul 15, 2013

plamensio wrote:

I have the same problem too.My prints are even darker. Probably 1F stop.

Monitor is calibrated. Windows 7,CS 5.1. I tried 15 types of paper with correct profiles -no difference.

Now I’m printing with Cone inks. They match 95% the Epson ones. Easy fix-adjustment layer.

I understand that there are a number of possible reasons for ‘prints too dark’, but as you can read in many of the posts above, the overwhelmingly most likely candidate is that the monitor is too bright and the photo editor (in this case PS CS5.1) is managing the color.  That’s a deadly combination for us picky photographers.  I personally think that the printer itself is a remote culprit.

But here’s the rub…people calibrate their monitors and they are (apparently often) still too bright.  Their equipment is either calibrating monitors that are intrinsically not willing to come into compliance or the calibration equipment itself is trying to calibrate hue at the expense of luminance or the monitor is in an environment that doesn’t allow accurate calibration.  This is exacerbated by the very human tendency to not believe that they have spent hard earned money on faulty equipment and that some moron (me:) is trying to convince them of this without ever seeing the equipment itself.

For all those possibilities, I recommend trying to let the printer manage the colors on a known good evaluation image.  It bypasses the monitor, all adjustments and makes the setup somewhat simpler. If the printout is fine, this points very strongly toward a monitor issue.

In my estimation this should be the first step for troubleshooting, while ideally using Epson Inks and a conservative selection of Epson papers.  I don’t have anything against Cone inks but it’s just added another layer of uncertainty to the problem.

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow