Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
vjk2
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
Re: Why mirrorless over dslr?
In reply to Johnny in L.A., Jul 15, 2013

Johnny in L.A. wrote:

vjk2 wrote:

But in my cursory glance at mirrorless...

they seem to...

- lack good zooms.

- are cannibalized too much by camera phones

- eat battery

- aren't as satisfying to use, even if they deliver the same results.

- due to design compromises, do not deliver as good (though good enough) results.

I think you should give mirrorless another look. I just got my first mirrorless system (Fujifilm X-E1 with 18-55 zoom and 35 1.4) and most of the above don't apply to the X-E1 and their current competitors.

My 18-55 zoom is excellent. As good as any mid-range DSLR zoom and in the league of the second-tier pro zooms (like the f4 Canon L's).

The IQ from my X-E1 equals any other APS-C camera in most conditions. They are nothing like camera phones.

Battery: you are correct. This is compounded by the small-sized battery to capitalize on the overall smallness of the system. You need to carry spare batteries with mirrorless (or at least with the X-E1).

Satisfying: This is correct to a certain degree, especially for AF on moving subjects or in low light. With a DSLR you can nail perfectly sharp photo after photo in almost every situation. But the X-E1 is a photographer's camera and I find it very satisfying to use. The only camera I'd trade it for is a Leica full-frame compact.

Results: again, my results from the X-E1 are as good as any APS-C camera except for (as stated by other posters above) action/sports, focusing in the dark, and very long telephoto.

When I say "lack good zooms," I'm *not* referring to 18-55mm ranges, but I'm talking more along the 200-300mm range. For sports, as you say.

I recently picked up a DSLR, Pentax K30, and I think there's a very good possibility that it is the *last* DSLR I'll ever use. If there is a next camera purchase, mirrorless is a good possibility. I expect that screen resolutions and clarity will improve so that the screen on the back actually resembles an OVF. Already, the K30's liveview is *very* impressive, like, within 10-20% of an OVF.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
+1New
SizeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow