Why Are Cameras Dying Off?

Started Jul 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
Re: Why Are Cameras Dying Off?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Jul 15, 2013

Cyril Catt wrote:

But whether, in 150 years, my great-great-grandchildren will be able to look at images of me, as I am currently able to look at images of my great-great-grandparents from 150 years ago, remains a question.

Cyril

I think it will be better. Image standards like gif and jpg will never go away. We still have slide view projectors right now.

I think all your images of you and your family will fit onto one memory card. You will have 3 duplicates that will cost you less than a photo album. If the images degrade, a computer will be able to take the data from all 3 and retrieve all the information.

You may have 1 or two pictures that have lasted from 150 years ago, your great great grandchildren will be able to see video and thousands of pictures. How many pictures from 150 years ago have we lost due to light/water/air damage and loss. I think that digital photography will lose far fewer, only those without backups will suffer catastrophic loss.

I believe right now, I have every picture I have taken from my first digital camera, a casio point and shoot all the way until now, backed up across 4 computers, then 3 more on sibling and parent computers that are in a different location. I have external hard drive backups of each. Each time I get a new computer. I dump all the images to the new computer and because hard drive space continues to increase the new computer does not even feel it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow