Is it design of new GX?

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Questions thread
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,957
Like?
Re: Is it design of new GX?
In reply to peevee1, Jul 15, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:I dislike very much the stroboscopic effect of rapid motion shot at 24p and 30p. I could reduce the shutter speed to make the motion seem smoother, but that comes at the expense of sharpness and clarity.

It only comes at the expense if you stop the video and take a single frame out of it. For VIDEO, there is no downside, 30p at 1/30s is just as good and smooth as 60p at 1/60s.

This is absolutely not true. For example, try to read what it says on the side of the bus that goes by about 9 seconds into this video. The video looks very poor because of the stroboscopic effect of the slow 30p frame rate. If a 1/30th shutter speed had been used then the motion would look "smoother" but the lettering would also be so smeared that it would be at best difficult to read.  1/60th at 60p would cut the amount of smear in half.

In fact, 60p is fast enough that they eye can't quite perceive the individual frames and as a result you pretty much don't even need to follow the 180 degree shutter rule - rapid motion looks smooth even if you shoot at 1/1000th of a second.   This means that you can get very crisp and clear results even with fast pans or fast-moving subjects.

Perhaps its not important to you, but the difference is very, very obvious to me and as a result I find that 30p is simply not acceptable for much of what I shoot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow