Why mirrorless over dslr?

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Johnny in L.A. Contributing Member • Posts: 590
Re: Why mirrorless over dslr?

vjk2 wrote:

But in my cursory glance at mirrorless...

they seem to...

- lack good zooms.

- are cannibalized too much by camera phones

- eat battery

- aren't as satisfying to use, even if they deliver the same results.

- due to design compromises, do not deliver as good (though good enough) results.

I think you should give mirrorless another look. I just got my first mirrorless system (Fujifilm X-E1 with 18-55 zoom and 35 1.4) and most of the above don't apply to the X-E1 and their current competitors.

My 18-55 zoom is excellent. As good as any mid-range DSLR zoom and in the league of the second-tier pro zooms (like the f4 Canon L's).

The IQ from my X-E1 equals any other APS-C camera in most conditions. They are nothing like camera phones.

Battery: you are correct. This is compounded by the small-sized battery to capitalize on the overall smallness of the system. You need to carry spare batteries with mirrorless (or at least with the X-E1).

Satisfying: This is correct to a certain degree, especially for AF on moving subjects or in low light. With a DSLR you can nail perfectly sharp photo after photo in almost every situation. But the X-E1 is a photographer's camera and I find it very satisfying to use. The only camera I'd trade it for is a Leica full-frame compact.

Results: again, my results from the X-E1 are as good as any APS-C camera except for (as stated by other posters above) action/sports, focusing in the dark, and very long telephoto.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
T3
tko
tex
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow