Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,332
Like?
Can you have too much gear?
Jul 14, 2013

Looking in my bag I am getting the feeling I am lugging too much around. There is certainly a lens I can stop carrying. It is not so much the weight but the fact I keep seeing different things that I want to photograph so on an average day out probably change lens 5-6 times.

On the camera body front I tend to carry a 7D and a 40D but rarely use the 40D as I always want the 7Ds facilities and quality.

Lenses, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 28-105, 70-200 2.8 IS II, EF 100-400, EF-S 60 and an MPE65 plus a 2x converter and a set of extension tubes.

Bit of overlap with the 2 large zooms but the quality of the 70-200 is just superb and I also use it with extension tubes at times to shoot large insects.

Also carrying 2 600 EX RT and a 550 EX but rarely use 3 flashes so I can probably leave one of those back home but it will probably then stagnate in a cupboard.

There is also a couple of flash benders and a set of gels, cleaning kit, spray bottle, tripod qr brackets, spare memory cards, notebook, pen, filters and holders etc. And the whole lot fits in a Lowepro Vertex 300. Oh, and sometimes some bird feed for use at a feeding station.

So walking around today in this heat I was perspiring somewhat and a little less weight may help. So what do I ditch? The 28-105 and the MPE65 can almost certainly join one of the flashguns. What else should go or should I just stay as is, prepared for anything?

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow