Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thomas Karlmann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679Gear list
Like?
RX1, really?
9 months ago

I do not intend this as any sort of slam against the RX1, I'm just trying to understand.  Apparently, this camera is ultra top rated by just about everyone.  Why?  Can owners explain to me how serious photography can be done without a viewfinder?

Apparently, viewfinders are now optional -- DPReview' review of the RX1 lists the lack of a viewfinder as the 4th or 5th ding in things it didn't like -- why isn't this 'no-viewfinder' the #1 ding?  Are all RX1 users former P&S folks who just won the lottery?  At $27xx. this camera isn't cheap.  Then folks rave about how small the camera is -- sure, they do this (sic) sans viewfinder!  (Isn't the add-on VF about $600-700?) Is everyone using this camera doing street photography or what?

I really would like to learn where my reasoning has not met up with this (apparently) new trend of viewfinder-less cameras.  That said, I DO like the add-on VF because it tilts -- this is something more manufacturer's should do -- I'm coming from the Minolta A2 background.  But if I WERE to use the add-on VF, then where does the flash go?

Thanks, and my apologies to those who really LIKE the camera the way it its -- I'm just trying to understand.  In my own camera use, I really like taking the LCD and flipping it 'round so I cannot see it at all -- saving it, battery power, etc. and JUST using the VF.

-- hide signature --

Thom--

Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow