Started Jul 10, 2013 | Polls thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,641Gear list
Like?
Re: Poll: D800E vs. 5D mk III w/ Zeiss 2/35mm ZF
In reply to Zlik, Jul 14, 2013

Zlik wrote:

For some reason, the whole comparison ended up in the signature. Here it is :

Compared at two different senarios: A) big print (60MP export to magnify the differences, if any), B) moderate resolution (16MP):

A)

1. Imported both raw files in lightroom
  2. No sharpening
  3. No noise reduction
  4. Exported to 60 MP with output sharpening set to low
  5. Opened both in photoshop, applied 0.7, 65% unsharp mask, cropped same portion:

B)

1. Imported both raw files in lightroom
  2. Low sharpening (amount 50, radius 0.6, detail 25, masking 6)
  3. Low noise reduction (luminance 6, rest default)
  4. Exported to 16 MP with output sharpening set to low
  5. Opened both in photoshop, applied 0.4, 60% unsharp mask, cropped same portion. View:

Conclusion: there is a visible clear difference, even at 16MP. The detail from the D800E is finer.

It is understandable (to a degree) why some believe that comparing up-rezzed images is the only way to compare unequal images - they print big either sometimes or a lot. But 95% of all applications (percentage unscientifically derived by me) involve down-rezzing so it is important to compare the effect of throwing away pixels too. Dare I say it? Much of that 95% involves smaller pixel counts than 16 MP it would seem.  What does 16 MP equate to in terms of dimensions and DPI (no! I do not understand DPI ).

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow