Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
Shooting quickly at events
Jul 14, 2013

I went to a family party yesterday and was taking photos.  I didn't want to be disruptive to people or the event, so I was taking essentially candids rather than asking people to pose.  I find these type of pictures generally seem much more natural anyway.

When I got home and looked the images on the computer I was pleased with some, but many, if not most, had issues.  At a minimum they needed to be cropped, but there were also focus issues, blur due to low shutter and/or poor light, general poor exposure, etc.

I was using the 16-50pz and shooting primarily in aperture priority.  I was finding myself getting a little flustered trying to get shots quickly: trying to adjust the metering if needed, ISO (I didn't want to leave it on auto because the camera often goes for 3200, which I find too high-- would be nice if we could set a max), figuring out the lighting, adjusting the aperture, making sure shutter speed wasn't too low, etc.

How do you deal with events like this when the scene is always changing and you need to get a shot fast so that people don't realize you have a camera pointed at them and start acting unnatural?

I have another family event in a few weeks and I would like to improve my technique.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow