Why Are Cameras Dying Off?

Started Jul 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,952Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Are Cameras Dying Off?
In reply to GeraldW, Jul 14, 2013

Loved it, Gerry, when you said, "Remember that the horse and carriage never did find a way to compete with the automobile, and gas lights never did find a way to compete with electric lights. And except for a few die-hards and some hobbyists; digital has replaced film; just as film replaced earlier imaging systems."

I think we are witnessing the evolution of ideas that is a normal part of technology. Also, we have an entire generation now of young people that have grown up with "things" designed to help them communicate in the simplest way possible. Sadly, in that goal, we are losing our ability to write, to speak, and to create, and are allowing our "machinery" to do the work for us. I am perplexed at the idea of abandoning cursive writing, yet this is happening in our school systems today. I wonder what we will do when the lights go out, as depicted on the NBC television show "Revolution." Frankly, I still have my saddles and eagerly await returning to having a horse in the garage!

As far as why people are abandoning cameras, I think that most who do so are looking for the simplest answer possible, and as long as they can take a "decent" picture with a telephone, they will settle. I guess even the term "telephone" is outdated.

There will always be a place for finer quality cameras,but as demand diminishes, prices will rise, accessories will be fewer, and parts will become more scarce. I'm waiting for someone to introduce a camera body with a battery that is continually recharged from solar energy.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow