Need help with first DSLR

Started Jul 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,814
Like?
Long glass no sine qua non for birding
In reply to Satik, Jul 14, 2013

Satik wrote:

I agree with you. However, I still think that start with one universal lens like 18-105 give you more feelings what you need. Depending what you mean by wildlife this lens can make great pictures. If the main area of interest will be birds than even 70-300 mm is not enough for small fellows. I also bought my 35 mm as first prime, but somehow cannot find much usage for it. I prefer my 90 mm any day - I use it as a portrait, macro and wildlife. Just saying my experience.

Martin, I agree with a lot of what you say and I too, if I were a beginner would start with a general purpose lens such as the 18-105 which I think is pretty decent. If I were the OP I might also look at a good condition secondhand camera higher up market than her present target. I'd get it from a store with some sort of warranty option, indeed I did that a year ago when I bought my D300.

I disagree greatly though with the notion that long glass is a sine qua non for birding. Yeah, fine, if one has no fieldcraft or rapport with the subjects then wobble about by all means from half a mile away with long lens and TC etc. etc.

I get pretty good results (wild birds, not pets) with short glass. As short as 18-35mm if required.

(UK) Robin, D70; Sigma 105

Bluetit, D300; Nik 50mm

It can be done!

David

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow