Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,508
Like?
Panasonic G5: don't like it
Jul 14, 2013

A photo taken with the Panasonic G5 and included kit lens. Click through to see full size original. Did not use any sharpening.

This is a review of the G5 I obtained yesterday.

Before I am accused of being biased against Olympus, let me point out the G5’s good points:

• A lot easier to hold than any other m43 camera.
  • The strap lugs don’t get in the way and aren’t annoying
  • I like the focusing system a lot better. The 23-area focus shows you multiple area that are in focus, which helps you better understand what the camera is focusing on. And the spot-auto focus is a great implementation as well.
  • You can view a histogram and level at the same time in the viewfinder.
  • Kit lens is very sharp (if you are lucky to get a good one)
  • NO PURPLE FRINGING! As Anders W figured out, Panasonic has figured out how to make purple fringing go away by using a very strong internal UV filter (equivalent to Wratten 2E) covering the sensor. And that also prevents purple flare.

But besides those good points, this camera sucks.

• First of all, it looks and feels like a DSLR. This violates the spirit of m43 which is smaller and less conspicuous cameras. You could use a Rebel SL1 and get a real optical viewfinder.
  • Kit lens feels really cheap; has the worst-feeling zoom ring of any lens I have ever used in the history of photography.
  • The shutter is the loudest of any m43 camera I have used. The E-M5 is the softest. (I know that there’s an electronic shutter option on the G5, and maybe the loud shutter is why they had to put it there, but a rolling shutter will ruin photos in which anything is moving.)
  • The touch “sensitivity” of the LCD sucks compared to Olympus cameras. (OK, I know that Panasonic fixed this with the GF5 and G6, but it’s a reason for why the G5 sucks.)
  • Also, the fully articulating LCD may SOUND like an advantage, and it is for studio photography using a tripod, for when you are wearing the camera around your neck, the Olympus swiveling approach is actually a lot easier to use.
  • MISSING LIVE-VIEW SHADOW & HIGHLIGHT BLINKIES. This is the best part of Olympus cameras, and makes it easy to avoid blown-out highlights.
  • The thumb-wheel sucks. Very hard to turn. The wheels on the Olympus E-M5 are “A” quality wheels, Panasonic has an “F” quality wheel. I like the wheel on the back of the E-PM2 over the G5 wheel that sucks.
  • I don’t like the buttons on the G5 either. I’m not a fan of the mushy buttons on the E-M5, but Olympus had to make those buttons mushy in order to be weather-sealed. What’s Panasonic’s excuse? The E-PM2, Olympus’ cheapest camera, has better buttons.

I assume that the G5 can take great photos if you can get the correct exposure, but it’s not an enjoyable or as easy a camera to use compared to Olympus. And the big DSLR-style body makes it a lot more conspicuous if you are taking pictures in places where you’d rather not be conspicuous, such as bad neighborhoods or where there are officious security guards nearby.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EVFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow