Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,506Gear list
Like?
Continuing to work on improving exposure at our local market's stage
Jul 14, 2013

Today I went back to our local Saturday Market that has a small stage for musicians to perform at, in a continuing effort to get an optimal exposure for this venue.

After my earlier experiments recording at this venue that I posted here, I decided to set the photo style in my GH3 back to more neutral settings: Contrast -1, Sharpness 0, Saturation -1, and Noise Reduction -1

I also scaled back on my post-processing. I didn't do any sharpening in post, as the GH3 is already very sharp in resolution, and I was going to export to 720/30p anyway for uploading, I ended up making only very minor, minute adjustments to Highlights, Shadow, Contrast, and Brightness to just very gently tweak the image a little.

I once again used Manual Exposure, this time with an ISO of 320, to allow for a smaller aperture to have a deep depth of field @ f/6.3

I think that I have made some further progress. Here is my latest effort, with these changes made:

TO THE BRIDGE performing "Jump, Jive, An' Wail" at the Eugene Saturday Market

NOTE: I did not set the White Balance, and used Auto White Balance. The Auto White Balance on the GH3 is simply amazingly good, far better than any other camera or camcorder that I have ever owned. Am I being lazy to just use AWB?

The only other thing that I did different this time, was that I did not use Manual focus as I did before. Instead, I used the Continuous Autofocus option on my GH3. I have found the Continuous Autofocus on the GH3 to be equally outstanding, and once again, far better than any camcorder that I have ever owned. It does an amazing job in keeping the subject in focus. I never once had to override it.

So does this latest attempt look good to you? Or do you think that I need to try to tweak my settings and options further, or do something more in post?

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow