Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HarryPutnam
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
Finally had enough of the constant hunting with sony 100mm macro
Jul 14, 2013

Experimenting with a sony 100mm macro on an A65 going on the second week, its really fun to work with... but there is one major outstanding problem and I wonder if others see this too.

The AF hunts way way too much.  I can sort of understand it when the focus is on a wall of the same color or something... even a flower petal if it's a close enough shot and the petal fills the lens.  But it seems to hunt when it shouldn't too.  Like a flower where one petal is a bit closer to the camera (1/8 inch or something) and a the petal has a clear edge defining it from other petals.  I find the lens zooming all the way both ways, racing right past what I can clearly see is the focus point and then giving up.

Even if I try to help it out by getting it close by hand then setting the limit switch... it still often just races by the correct point.

Is this a commonly seen drawback with this lens?  Is it something that all macro lenses suffer from?

I want to try a tamron 180mm macro, should I expect that to get worse on a bigger lens?

Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow