This thread is locked.
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,547Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 14, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

No, I am not saying that D800 has better AF. Both cameras are about equal after FW update on D800.

What I am saying is that in order to shoot a person/actor being interviewed (not posing for you) in a very low light you need to get a shutter speed of at least 1/160 and take a lot of shots to get few sharp.I would love to get more like 1/250-1/320.

OK based on what you said above and your another post below, I don't see why Nikon cameras have particular advantages in these scenes at high ISO. Actually based on two lenses you described, Canon 70-200L/2.8 IS II is sharper than Nikon counterpart, 5DIII AF in low light w/o using assistant light, is as good as or could be slightly better than D800. If you could afford another camera, then get Canon 300L/2.8 IS II instead of Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS, that again is better than Nikon 300G/2.8 VR.

Please explain where exactly did I mention focusing or lens sharpness problem?

My points are that 5D3 AF lock-on speed is likely a bit faster and Canon lenses are better that both help to increase AF hit rate at specific shutter speed.

Why in the world would I sell very excellent zoom lens for a prime which is not any better? And please don't start me on that.

Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS is not as good as Canon 300L/2.8 IS II as latter not only sharper but AF lock on faster that would help you in your job.  I also believe two cameras not one camera solution.

The problem is to stop subject movement and the only way to do it is with high shutter speed that 5D3 can't provide because I have to use proper exposure and I can't.

Again my point is that 5D3 with better Canon lenses will help you to improve hit rate.  But still technically no difference between you shoot at ISO 3200 then push 2-stop back and at ISO 12800 or slightly lower.

These are not just paparazzi shots. I usually pre-focus and wait until I get some kind of expression on the face.

5DIII has 61 AF pt, 45-cross-pt among them (faster lenses have more cross-pt available to choose from) so you can select a cross-pt and 5D3 can shoot faster in burst rate.

5D3 can have 150 cross points how is that going to help if focusing is not a problem with either camera.

From what I have read, 5D AF lock-on speed is faster, shooting fast, better in AI-servo mode and more responsible overall that will increase your hit rate

Even a simple sudden laugh can ruin the picture. I was struggling with 5D2 and 7D. With D800 there is a lot less struggling because I can underexpose (thus getting the higher shutter speed) and bring it back without banding.

5D2 and 7D are old cameras and 7D is crop camera so not at the same level of D800. But 5D3 is a different story.

Not true at all. 5D3 is about 1/2 better in RAW than 5D2 at best. Search here, many people ran that test a year ago. But again it has nothing to do with underexposure and subsequent banding.

D800 doesn't have better high ISO than 5D3 and even doesn't have better DR than 5D3 in high ISO.

In high ISOs, 5D3 actually has higher DR than D800.

First of all it doesn't.

yes, according to DXOMark, 5D3 DR even out D800 at ISO 2000, and then is slightly better in high ISO, higher ISO, better from 5D3 although not huge difference.

Second of all, banding is not really related with DR.

related but Canon cameras don't have more banding than Nikon in high ISOs, certainly not at ISO 3200.

And third, DR has nothing to do with it because I am not recovering highlights so I never reach full potential of either cameras. I can underexpose D800 is much as want and it will never show banding. Just take a look in the other post below. How much underexposure do you think that is?

At ISO 3200, whatever you can do with D800 you also can do with 5D3.

Technically there is no difference from perspective of noises/grain between you expose correctly (on your subject, the interviewed person) at one ISO stop and you underexposed (in order to use faster shutter) and then push 2-stop back. Canon cameras have no more banding than Nikon in high ISOs as Canon cameras have higher DR than Nikon's ones in high ISOs that confirmed in DXOMark sensor's tests.

Really. In what universe? Actually DXO was measured at really high ISO, not at 3200. In either case I don't shoot higher than 3200 anyway.

5D3 is no less than D800 at ISO 3200 from either DR or SNR perspective according to DXOMark.

I'd say 5D3 will handle as good as D800 in your described scenes.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WBNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow