Crystal Ball Required... Locked

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,979Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 14, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

I could use a stronger word to describe your condition but I am sure now that you are CRAZY and certainly don't have a clue and experience.

What you're talking about. Please be calm and discuss/debate with merits not thru emotion please.

The whole idea behind this shot was not to overblown the sky at 30 second exposure to get a misty look from water.

Still can do and you can shoot ISO 100 instead with a GND filter or a reverse GND filter. You then expose on your 80% of front scene that will be much detailed, cleaner and sharper. The bright sky is protected by GND filter that you can fully recover.

And you don't see much grain or noise, you are just saying it. In fact all I did is converted from RAW without any processing for noise or banding for that matter.

Here is a very small 100% crop at full resolution. There is no noise, period.

this is the brightest area in your 80% of lower part of scene. Sure you can apply NR to reduce noises but that effectively smear details on already lost details from severe underexposure. They are not very detailed, not very sharp. Please show those very deep dark shadows at 100% size on sides of rock for example.

Post your 5D3 shot in this situation and lets see what it looks like.

But the point is that I will NOT shoot in your way as I said. I will use a GND or reverse GND filter on horizontal, expose correctly at ISO 100 instead that could even expose longer as I expose on front dark area not on sky that protected by GND or reverse GND filter. You saw my BIF samples in page 2 of this thread. Now please show us how your D800 can take better photos if you expose on sky then pull a deep dark birds 3-6 stops from shadow. I am waiting to see.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3514360?page=2

'Exposure on highlight then push deep dark shadows in extreme' is not a good technique in general, and will not replace traditional good techniques.

This is nothing to do with 5D3 vs D800.  Even 5D3 had 14-stop DR or I shoot with D800, I STILL will not shoot in your way but on the way I descried above, period.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WBNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow