Why Are Cameras Dying Off?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Darrell Spreen
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,893
Like?
Re: Why Are Cameras Dying Off?
In reply to chr1st1an, 9 months ago

chr1st1an wrote:

I think is the way things evolves. It happened to the music in the '90s. When mp3 appeared it was more convenient to have 1 little device capable of playing and storing 1000 songs in mp3 format than to carry 80 compact disc in a case. And yes, the standard mp3 files that everyone have doesn't have the same sound quality, but who cares? For most people the sound is the same (even for me). Is a trade, quality for space and convenience.With cameras is the same. Who cares if the phone doesn't take images with the same quality of a dedicated camera? most people use the images for sharing on facebook and I see thousands of horrible images with tons of "likes" and comments like "very good picture", "so nice!", etc. And again, is a trade, the phone is always with you and you can also talk, surf the web, play music, videos, etc. I think Samsung got the point with the galaxy camera.
Nothing is forever!!! just 60 years ago people travel from a continent to another in a ship. Now we travel in airplane, even having just 70 cm (or less) between our seat and the seat in front of us, and ships are only for pleasure and containers.
Just my thoughts

Christian

I think your summary is pretty good, but I think it is a bit sad (no reflection on you).  It seems to reflect a trend toward mediocrity rather than excellence.  Where is that likely to take us?

You say that many of the images on facebook are horrible and people don't seem to notice.  But if photography means anything special to someone, they notice.  Some of us grumble about it.

You mention the convenience of MP3 files with lesser quality and no one cares.  In this case, I definitely care.  I can hear big differences between my MP3 files and my quality audio sources.  There is nothing from my MP3 files to compare to the way a subwoofer stirs the senses as it reaches down to an extremely deep bass note in a good recording.

You mention the cramped seats we get with air travel today and I have read that many people are about at their limit and are now complaining loudly.  Airlines seem to have taken the "low road" to try to return to profitability.

What's going to keep us on the cutting edge if we always settle for good enough -- or less?  (Sorry for spouting so much philosophy).

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow