Why mirrorless over dslr?

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
tray48
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Why mirrorless over dslr?
In reply to Ubilam, Jul 14, 2013

I have both a Nikon D7000 dslr and a mirror-less Olympus OMD-EM5. I have used both extensively but find each have advantages for specific uses. Both have great image quality and are very good in low light Also there is a wide range of lenses available for both cameras. Specifically for me, the D7000 for me is great for macro, portraits, and night photography, especially when I need to focus manually or want a narrow depth of field. My OMD is a wonderful travel camera, light weight, and unobtrusive. I got it specifically because I wanted a lightweight high image quality camera to take on a recent trip to China and Tibet. It worked fine on the trip along with a 12-50 mm lens, and I found I could carry it around my neck all day without getting fatigued. Something I could never do with D7000 and my 18-200 VR. Of course the OMD ergonomics are not the same as the D7000, and it is more menu driven. But that is to be expected in a smaller body with less room for dedicated buttons and a compromise I was willing to make to get a smaller lighter camera. However, I did get the add on grip, and with it the OMD handles really well.

Both cameras have their place and optimum uses. You have to decide what features are most important and where you can make compromises. For me, when traveling, weight, size, and image quality are most important and I use the OMD. In other situations, such as portraits, macro photography, and night photography, the D7000 is my choice.

tray48's gear list:tray48's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
+1New
SizeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow