Poll: D800E vs. 5D mk III w/ Zeiss 2/35mm ZF

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Polls thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,516Gear list
Like?
Re: Diffraction?
In reply to Flashlight, Jul 14, 2013

Flashlight wrote:

As we know from the DPReview comparison between D800 and D800E a difference in rendered detail between them is only noticable until f/5.6, so making this comparison @ f/8 means you're left with a little less detail for the D800 then would be possible. Of course, if you need to shoot @ f/8 that's that but f/5.6 would have been sufficient for this image IMO.

I agree with you here about f5.6 but the images looked a tad better in the corners at f8 and I was trying to anticipate and dispell as much criticism as possible while providing a workable file in all 3 zones. When I do these comparisons or I am just testing a single new lens, I shoot these images at every aperture from wide open to f22 because IQ does change. For the future, it would take little or no extra effort to upload additional images made with the most commonly used apertures.

Even with the 5D3, the transition from f5.6 to f8 is noticeable so it is not like the Canon file wasn't degrading too. Actually, I thought f4 looked the very best at center frame but at 100%, as mentioned above, f8 looked better across the 3 Zones.

I don't understand the up-rezzing methodology. I could have predicted this outcome sight unseen.

I made my own comparison from the RAW files. Loaded them into ACR where I upscaled the 5D image to 6144 wide (maximum) and opened the D800 natively @ 7360. I used all standard settings except sharpening which I set to 0.

Then upscaled the 5D image to 7360 using Bicubic Smoother (best for enlargement) and applied the same amount of sharpening to both. Here's the result @ 200% for real pixel peeping:

To my eyes there's a significant difference in detail, especially for those that choose the D800E over the D800.

-- hide signature --

Philip

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow