Why mirrorless over dslr?

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Why mirrorless over dslr?
In reply to Ubilam, Jul 14, 2013

Ubilam wrote:

Or, vice versa? Please educate me. State the benefits/cons of both ONLY if you have used both types to compare. Thanks.

I may not be qualified to answer because I have only owned a film type camera with a mirror. However, take this as a theoretical old timers opinion (whether your want it or not ;-))

In the film days in my opinion a mirror was the only way to go. It pretty much showed you exactly what you were going to get in the frame. However it was pure optical, and your film was pure chemical. So beyond the crop preview what showed up on the film was dependent on many, many factors and you really did not know what you have until the film was developed.

Now with digital things have improved a lot. You can see ahead of time much more than just the crop. Again what a print looks like compared to an electronic screen is another issue, but at least they are reasonably close.

I'm assuming a mirror dslr works like the old film type and you have a pure optical viewfinder? If so, I'm sure it will look nice to the eye (if the lens is fast and does not stop down when composing), but just like the old film type it can be misleading. From what I recall what you saw in the pure optical TTL viewfinder was never matched with what you got on the film (for a variety of reasons). I think technology has progressed and you are better to look at an electronic image if you want a realistic preview of what is coming.

So for those reasons I don't know why one would want to have a mechanical mirror and all the associated limitations (despite the fact I'm a mechanical engineer and would love to design it). With modern electronic technology you can view what you are going to get and then capture the image with nothing moving. You can even take video and capture an image in the middle of the video without messing up the video.

To me a mirrorless digital camera has all the advantages of both the old rangefinder (purity) and the SLR (flexibility).

Just my outdated, and probably inaccurate thoughts...

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
+1New
SizeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow