Like?
Re: No.
In reply to T3, Jul 13, 2013

T3 wrote:

JohnJ851 wrote:

T3 wrote:

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

T3 wrote:

Then by your logic, we should constantly be adding or removing weights from the camera body depending on which lenses we are using, in order to maintain "balance" between the camera body and lens!

Yes that would be good - as the balance is important.

By the way, ever hear of a monopod?

Yes, I use them often, but you are welcome to try and pan with a F1 car in race trim in a corner that opens out and thus allows them to accelerate fully...

I And from personal experience, after a long day of shooting and hauling around gear, my back and shoulders feel better from carrying around a LIGHTER camera, not a HEAVIER camera.

Well, that's not my experience as for me the Position at which I have to support the lens is critically important and if that shifts to the lens that gets exceedingly painful as it puts strain on my spine. If the center of gravity is closer to my body while I use the combination I have more weight but less strain on my back - since I have a slipped disc in my back I can tell immediately if the center of gravity is comfortable for me or not and with the 60D it isn't even with small lenses such as the 70-200 f/2.8L USM...

Karl, your logic behind "center of gravity", as it relates to your back, is horribly flawed. Changing the location of your left hand along the lens does not change the "center of gravity" of the total mass of the camera+lens. Shifting your hand forwards or backwards does not increase the camera+lens' weight, and therefore does not change any force it exerts on your body.

But it certainly put more strain on your back.

Obviously you don't suffer from back pains.

Sure, and that's why every chiropractor and orthopedic surgeon recommends that, if you suffer from back pain, you should use a HEAVIER camera! LOL. Heavy as possible, in fact. Maybe put some lead weights on that camera body, too. It'll do WONDERS for your back. Because we all know, more weight is less force on your back. Slipped disc? Heavier camera! Cracked vertebrae? Heavier camera! Pulled back muscle? Heavier camera!

Well, whatever works for you, guys. Frankly, I have a healthy back, and I prefer to keep it that way, so I try not to lug around more weight than I need to. Everyone's back is perfectly fine, until the day it's not. Then you're screwed. So I keep a fit weight, keep my muscles toned, do regular exercise, and try to carry lighter gear when I can. I used to be into heavy, weighty gear, too, because it felt very re-assuring. But then logic and sense took over. Gravity is real, folks.

very good point

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 +58 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
NoNew
No.New
yesNew
No!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow